Treasury HomeContact Us




Related Topics


  • Deciding to Enroll
  • Termination or Leave
Before you enroll in Flexible Benefits, keep the following points in mind:
  • Contributions to your reimbursement accounts are deducted from every regular paycheck.
  • You may submit Reimbursement Request Forms as often as you like (provided you have funds available for reimbursement).
  • All expenses claimed must be incurred during your period of coverage.
  • You cannot transfer funds between reimbursement accounts; for example, you cannot transfer the amounts you have contributed from your Medical account to a Dependent Care account.
  • Once your Medical or Dependent Care deductions have begun, you may not stop or change the amount of your contributions during the year unless you have a significant change in family status; such changes must be reported within 60 days of the event.
  • Your maximum amount of reimbursement under the Medical Expense Reimbursement Account is available at all times during your period of coverage, less any prior reimbursement made during that period.
  • You cannot withdraw money from your account except for the reimbursement of eligible expenses, even if you terminate state employment.
  • All claims must be filed for Medical and Dependent Care by March 31 for the prior calendar year to avoid your money being forfeited.

If you are terminating employment, all qualifying Flexible Benefits expenses (medical, dependent care, transportation, parking) must have dates of service on or before your last day of employment (not the date of your final paycheck or the date your insurance coverage terminates).

If a member’s employment is placed in unpaid leave status, the member has the option to make after-tax contributions to continue the annual pledge via a lump-sum payment.  Contact the Flexible Benefits office for more details about this provision. This provision DOES NOT apply to retired or terminated employees.

If a member is on an unpaid leave of absence that lasts for more than 30 days during the plan year, he/she may be treated as a terminated employee.

If a member's coverage under the Flexible Benefits Plan is discontinued due to unpaid leave of absence or a break in state service, he/she will have the opportunity to rejoin the program during open enrollment for the next plan year.

If a member transfers employment between state agencies without a break in employment, the account will continue at the same annual amount. Re-enrollment is not required. If more than 30 days occur between employment with state agencies, the member may be treated as a terminated employee.

If a member elects to retire or terminate state employment, expenses must be incurred before the termination date with the member’s agency. Expenses incurred after termination date are not eligible for reimbursement even if there is an available balance.